Feb 2, 2014

LIVING THAT PREPPY LIFE

Taken from Pinterest


Over the last few years (or maybe even one year) my style has evolved. Previously, I would have described my style as girly and trendy. I was always more interested in staying on trend, and following what I saw in magazines or on the runway. Now I would describe my style as preppy with a twist or preppy chic (did I just make that up?). What I mean by preppy chic is classic pieces but with a youthful and trendy twist. A classic button down with a statement necklace or a conservative sweater with embellishment.

It's all about adding classic pieces than can be used for years to come, but adding some unique pieces that transform the outfit from traditional and conservative to still classy, but youthful.

I find it more important to buy pieces that I know I can carry with me throughout my 20's. My clothing has also become more conservative since high school. When I look back at pictures of myself in high school (cringe) I didn't always follow the rule of either showing off cleavage or legs. How did my mother let me out of the house?

Now don't get me wrong I don't dress like Mother Theresa. I'm still in my early 20's so might as well show off some of what "my momma gave me" before it's social unacceptable. I prefer medium length shorts and skirts (JCrew Chino 4" for a reference). I usually choose to show off my legs since I'm not comfortable with too much cleavage.

NUMBER 1 RULE: TAILORING!! I cannot stress this enough. Tailoring can take a less expensive outfit and make it look like it was made for you. Don't be afraid to get your clothes tailored.

Shopping: 
J Crew/J Crew Factory - The holy grail of preppy chic, 15% off with student ID, and continually having sales
Tory Burch
Nordstrom
Lilly Pulitzer
Kate Spade
Lacoste
Ralph Lauren
Asos.com
Tobi.com
Marshalls
TJ Maxx
Sail to Sable
Barbour
Ebay- Can find more expensive pieces for a great price
Forever 21 -I'm usually mixed about this store, I find the quality to be minimal. However, there are times when I find a quality piece with a great price...you HAVE to search
Zara- great for blazers or blouses
Bauble Bar

Bloggers/Youtubers Inspiration:
SarahBelle
Sarah Vickers
Blair Eadie
Krista Robertson
Emily (BowsandDepos)



Inspiration for Preppy Chic:











No comments:

Post a Comment